Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified and motivated Medical Assistant who will has the responsibility for for quality and effective medical operations and exercises in the field ensuring that health needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) are duly met.
About the job
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been working in Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1992 and closed its office in the country at the end of January 2010 after 18 years. In July 2018 DRC re-opened its mission responding to increasing and priority needs of Person of Concern (PoCs) in close cooperation with the BiH Authorities. More specifically DRC BiH focuses on improving the access to primary and secondary health care including psychosocial and mental health services to PoCs, as well as on enhancing the overall protective environment for PoCs, with particular focus on case management in SGBV, and timely outreach response to rights violations at the borders. DRC has main office in Sarajevo and activities implemented in Una-Sana, Herzegovina- Neretva, Sarajevo and Tuzla Canton.
Position: Medical Assistant
Duty Station: Sarajevo and Bihac
Period of engagement: by the project requirements.
Basic functions: Medical Assistant is responsible for quality and effective medical operations and exercises in the field ensuring that health needs of Persons of Concern (PoC) are duly met. He/she carries out the quality improvement activities in collaboration with the relevant Health Team Leader and the Medical Advisor, in compliance with the law and policies related to Healthcare in BiH and Canton level.
Reference: Medical Assistant refers directly to the Health Team Leader working under the supervision of the Healthcare Manager and in close collaboration with other project involved staff.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Performs regular field visits to the transit reception centres (TRC) and outreach for PoCs in BiH in order to monitor their access to primary and secondary health services, as well as the need for individual health screening;
- Overseeing and reporting on refugee and migrant health situation, including those patients stranded or left unattended with humanitarian assistance at various locations in BiH;
- Provides nursing care, and if licensed for independent work provides medical care to PoCs in need, with the support of Medical Advisor, provides emergency medical escorts, establishing a strong quality control system and ensuring that PoCs’ rights are respected;
- Makes sure that DRC assets, medical consumables and supplies are utilized and taken care of adequately, economically and for the benefit and safe health of PoCs,
- Be present and contactable by designated health related institutions and staff (e.g. PHC and Cantonal hospitals and clinics) during the assigned duty, with driving routines to the designated locations;
- Regularly liaises and communicates with all other relevant local departments and implementing agencies’ medical personnel on relevant medical issues, under the supervision of Healthcare Manager and Medical Advisor;
- Facilitates that all undertaken services to PoCs are charged out in accordance with appropriate protocols;
- Contributes to the maintenance of a financial and administration control system for payments committed and released by DRC related to the project implementation, under the supervision of Healthcare Manager and with the support of the Finance Officer;
- Provides adequate response to other health and protection related tasks;
- Be adequately responsive and collaborative due to other local and central stakeholders’ health related priorities and requests, having consulted the supervisory DRC staff beforehand.
- Performs any other duties within other DRC BiH program activities upon requests and instructions given by the Health Team Leader
Qualifications & experience required
- Medical high school diploma or equivalent qualification
- License for independent work
- Fluency in spoken and written BCS (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian) and English
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel);
- Valid driving license, high level of professionalism evidenced by clear driver’s record;
- Ability to work in challenging environments, assess the situation and carry out immediate actions;
- Experience in refugee/migration-related issues would be an asset
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant job experience
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.